Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Translation from Les Fleurs du Mal (Eliot Cardinaux)

  La Beauté  (Beauty) 
          Charles Beaudelaire


I am beautiful, o mortals! Like a dream of stone,
And my breast, where each one bruises himself in turn,
Is made to inspire love, in the poet,
Eternal and mute as matter.

I am throned in the azure like a sphinx, misunderstood;
I level the heart of snow with the whiteness of swans;
hate the movement which displaces lines,
And I never cry, I never laugh.

The poets, before my grand attitudes,
Borrowed from the proudest monuments,
Consume their days in studious austerity;

Since I have, to fascinate these docile lovers,
Pure mirrors that make all things more beautiful:
My eyes, my large eyes of eternal clarity!


                                                        Translated by EC

No comments:

Post a Comment